Beltway expansion concerns dominated the discussion with Councilmember Andrew Friedson at the CJCA’s Feb. 27 meeting. Residents were glad to hear Friedson say that he had met personally with State Highway Administration officials and made clear his opposition to the taking of private property for any Beltway expansion.
The 35 residents in attendance raised many additional concerns, including noise and air pollution, storm water runoff and the potential inequity that expensive toll lanes would have on county residents who cannot afford to pay tolls in excess of $40 like on I-66 in Virginia. Cabin Johners also voiced concerns about the lack of transparency regarding state plans for the American Legion Bridge.
Friedson responded by saying that the state needs to focus on the bridge first and foremost as it is the cause of the worst congestion. Residents and Friedson also agreed that mass transit needs to be part of any state “traffic relief ” plan.
Friedson acknowledged the cut-through traffic and airplane noise challenges our community endures, although time constraints did not allow for deeper conversation on those issues. Friedson said one issue he feels strongly about is pedestrian safety and he seemed receptive to helping Cabin John get crosswalks on MacArthur Blvd. and Seven Locks Rd.
SUGGESTED CROSSWALKS FOR CABIN JOHN
The councilmember asked the CJCA to provide a list of suggested crosswalks. Here are the locations we’ve identified. They are suggested primarily because they provide safe access to sidewalks as well as Ride-On or school bus stops. Email Greg Pawlson, email@example.com, with your thoughts this list.
- Crosswalk across MacArthur Blvd. at the Captain’s Market
- Crosswalk across MacArthur Blvd. at 77th Street
- Crosswalk across MacArthur Blvd. at the westbound stop sign at Seven Locks Rd.
- Crosswalk across MacArthur Blvd. at lower 79th Street to the Ride On bus stop
- Crosswalk across MacArthur Blvd. at 80th Street
- Crosswalk across MacArthur Blvd. at 81st Street
- Crosswalk across Seven Locks Rd. at Carver Rd.
- Crosswalk across Seven Locks Rd. at Long Ridge Rd.
- Crosswalk across Seven Locks Rd. at the service road for Seven Locks Park/Palisades Pool
- Crosswalk across Seven Locks Rd. at Cypress Grove Lane
- Crosswalk across Seven Locks Rd. at Lilly Stone (Carderock neighborhood)
BY SUSAN SHIPP